March 03, 2009

Some Interesting Books

Normally, I don't read anthologies.
But, one day in an airport bookstore, I happened to run across Firebirds, an anthology of science fiction and fanstasy short stories from various authors. For the most part, I chose it because I had flipped through it and found a short comic, and the cover looked really cool. Usually, that isn't how I choose my books, but I was in a rush and really didn't want to get on a four hour nonstop flight with nothing to read.

So, on that nonstop flight, I discovered one of my favorite books to date. I fell in love with quite a few of the stories within, and found them worth rereading many times over.

A long time later, I found the sequel, Firebirds Rising, in my home library. Eagerly, I took it home and read the whole thing through. Sharyn November, the editor of these wonderful anthologies, does not disappoint. The sequel had quite a few more science fiction tales than the first, which was sadly lacking, but both are very good.

My recommendations would be:

From Firebirds:
  • Cotillion
  • Beauty
  • Mariposa
  • The Black Fox (Both the illustration and the adaptation are good, also my favorite from this collection)
  • The Lady of the Ice Garden
  • Hope Chest
  • Little Dot

From Firebirds Rising:

  • Huntress
  • The Real Thing
  • I'll Give You My Word
  • Wintermoon Wish
  • Jack O'Lantern (My absolute favorite from this collection)
  • Hives
  • The House on the Planet (My second favorite)

I think anyone who has read any of the books from my previous post would love these stories. You should really give them a try. I'm really glad I did.

Until next post,

Thalia Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers